Pages

Friday, June 28, 2013

Small Town Meanderings

I am currently down in a small south Georgia town with family, and miss my kitchen terribly (although, I did have some killer Mac and Cheese at a cafeteria yesterday). 

I know...cafeteria food...le sigh.  But there is something about southern cafeteria food that just feels like home (perhaps its all the grease that has never been emptied over the years, flavored with bits of chicken skin, potatoes and cornmeal....mmm, hushpuppies...  The top of the baked Mac and Cheese was nice and crispy (super baked), the noodles were still slightly al dente, and there was just the perfect amount of creamy cheese.  I will probably try and have it again tomorrow :) and hopefully can remember to take a picture). 

Things I enjoy generally about small towns in Georgia (in no particular order):
~ Strangers are constantly smiling and saying hello (this can get trying at times, like when you haven't had your coffee yet...);
~ People watching (it's like the live audience version of "People of Walmart");
~ Traffic is non-existant (this is my favorite);
~ Fried Chicken, Mac and Cheese, Grits...all the good southern food (my husband is a grits hater...that's ok, I still love him);
~ The sale racks are insane (hello $12 Aquiesse "Sunflower" Candle and $7 shirt); and 
~ Time seems to just slow down.


So, I suppose I'll spend my time reading up on new recipes and making menu plans for as soon as I get back home (and for now, eat Mac and Cheese).


  

No comments:

Post a Comment