Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Nutty Granola

Did you hear the joke about peanut butter?
I'm not telling you...you might spread it.

I love peanut butter.  Sometimes I will grab a spoon and just eat a bit straight out of the jar (ok, sometimes I don't use a spoon).

This post has absolutely nothing to do with peanut butter (sigh, I know, stay with me...).  I could try and make the connection for, "I was thinking about peanut butter, then thought about those peanut butter granola bars, then thought about how we were out of granola", but that would be sort of stretching the truth.  Really, we were out of granola and all the jokes I know about nuts are well, too dirty for The Dirty Floor blog.

Back on track.  Granola is delicious.  Granola is also expensive, so why not make your own Nutty Granola at home? (This is suuuuuuuuuper easy, and the result is delicious!!!)


Here's what you need:
4 teaspoons of vanilla
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup (get the good stuff)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
5 cups of old fashioned rolled oats (not quick cooking)
1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon
2 cups of chopped pecans (walnuts, or whatever kind of nuts you're feelin' like)




Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Mix/whisk 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup maple syrup, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 vegetable oil and 4 teaspoons of vanilla.  It will turn a pretty caramel color.

Add 5 cups of old fashioned rolled oats.  Mix with a wooden spoon until evenly coated.

Dust with 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon.  Mix until evenly coated. (easy, right?)

Chop 2 cups of pecans (or any other nuts).

Add nuts.  Mix.

Dump on parchment lined baking sheet.

Flatten out either with fingers or wooden spoon.

Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes.  I like mine more crunchy, so I went with 40 minutes.  Take out and let cool completely.

Once cooled, crumble into air tight container.  Have as cereal, over greek yogurt, with fruit, in chocolate pudding, etc. etc.

2 comments:

  1. This is the best granola I have ever tasted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This granola is so good I have become seriously addicted. I just hope the batch I am making today is as good as the last one!

    ReplyDelete